> Lasagna Soup
The secret to this soup is the toppings/mix-ins. It’s ALL about the cheese on top. Swirling in a scoop of ricotta, and a sprinkle of mozzarella is what takes this ordinary soup to extraordinary. I mean, can you even handle that cheesy goodness?
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, small dice
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces mushroom, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth or stock
- 1 cup your favorite marinara sauce
- 1/4 pound lasagna noodles, broken into bite size pieces (about 4-5 noodles)
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- ricotta cheese
- chopped basil
Heat a large pot over medium/high heat. Add oil, onion, a pinch of salt and pepper and cook for 3-5 minutes until onions begin to soften. Add the ground beef and begin to break it up with a wooden spoon.
Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, pinch of pepper, garlic powder, oregano and thyme and cook meat until no longer pink (about 5 minutes), breaking it up as it cooks. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
Remove meat from the pot and set aside while you cook the mushrooms. If pan is very dry add another tablespoon of oil. Add the mushrooms and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
Add the cooked meat back into the pot and combine with the mushrooms. Add the tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, chicken stock and marinara sauce. Stir to combine. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce to a simmer and add the lasagna noodles. Simmer until noodles are cooked through, stirring occasionally (about 10-15 minutes).
Once noodles are cooked, turn off the heat and stir in chopped parsley, 2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese and if needed, a little more salt and pepper to taste.
Ladle soup into bowls and serve with a scoop of ricotta cheese, a large pinch of shredded mozzarella, a sprinkle of grated parmesan and some chopped basil. Enjoy immediately!
No reviews yet! Will you be the first?